Monday, November 9, 2009

Night Elf Mages Revisited

Okay, it's been a while. I have a job, been trying to level a druid in the battlegrounds, and watching anime such as Bleach. You can see I have a busy schedule. Anyways, for today I was thinking about going more in-depth regarding post Catacylsm. My topic, at least today, is on Night Elf Mages. If you are a roleplayer as I am, as well as a pvper, it brings up several trains of thought.

Once I unwrap my shiny new expansion game box, install it, and log in, in the character creation section in the Night Elf race will be the new Mage option. The thing is this. When you make this character, pick out it's looks, name, and enter the world, what are you? Are you a fledgling mage, newly learned of the practice previously forbidden by your peers? Or a Highborne?

Technically, we would have to look at what makes a Highborne. By my knowledge, Highborn is one who practices arcane magic, that is a Night Elf. Now most Highborne had certain traits, such as lightened skin and hair, from their exposure to magic. Is that really a requirement though, to be physically altered to be considered Highborne. Certainly Illidan knew magic but has dark skin and hair.

So perhaps even if you are new to using arcane magic, you can still consider yourself Highborne. However, you could also potentially claim to be originally a Highborne, one of the ones that were not killed. Though there are few of them left, you could potentially still roleplay to be one. You'd have to be quite old though, and powerful. Or, you could just be relearning your ancient heritage.

It will be an interesting time. Let's cut to the point of being a Night Elf Mage from a PvP aspect though. Playing a Night Elf Druid right now I know how useful Shadowmeld can be, even if I can stealth in cat form. Having an instant vanish is quite nice. While Mages have invisibility, unless you spec for it, it is not instant. As well it can come in handy while leveling before you get invis.

If you have warlock/hunter pets on you, a quick Shadowmeld gets them off you. As well, it can be used to confuse dumb opponents, lose LoS, interupt casting on you, and multiple other uses. Quickness, Elusiveness, Wisp Spirit..are all alright but Shadowmeld is the real winner. There are only two downsides to Night Elf Mages. Their on the alliance side, and their males are fugly.

That's it for tonight, later on I may cover the other races further.

1 comment:

Arioch said...

Blink, Invis AND Shadowmeld?

I know I'm rolling one.